Cheddar and Bacon Loaf Recipe
Member recipe by whapshott
ServingsServes 1 - 10 Slices
It's Sunday morning and you're reading the papers, savouring the lovely aroma of fried bacon as you wait for your Cheddar and bacon loaf to finish baking. This easy recipe only takes 40 minutes from start to finish, with no yeast or kneading involved - so enjoy.
- Butter, for greasing
- 4 rashers streaky bacon
- 275g plain flour
- 1 level tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Pinch of English mustard powder
- 50g mature Cheddar, cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 large egg
- 225ml milk, plus 1 tbsp
- 2-3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 200C/fan180C/gas 6. Grease the base and sides of a 450g loaf tin and line the base with baking paper.
- Snip the bacon into strips and dry-fry in a pan until crisp, then cool.
- Meanwhile, put the flour, baking powder, salt and mustard powder into a bowl and stir. Add the cheese, bacon, egg, 225ml milk and parsley. Stir well with a wooden spoon until it has a soft dropping consistency ÃÂÃÂ¢ÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂ add extra milk, if needed.
- Spread in the tin and bake for 25 minutes, until risen, golden brown and just firm to the touch. Serve warm or cold, with butter and cheese, if you like.
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…