Caribbean Shepherds Pie
Member recipe by butlins12
- 450g lamb mince
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 stick celery, chopped
- 1tbsp plain flour
- 2tbsp Jerk seasoning (like Walkerswood)
- enough beef stock to cover
- 1kg sweet potato
- 1tbsp honey
- 100g butter
- Fry the onion, carrot and celery over a medium heat for five minutes until softened, and then transfer to a large casserole dish.
- Fry the lamb for a five minutes until browned. Add the flour and stir for a minute, then add the Jerk seasoning and fry for a further minute. Transfer to the casserole and stir into the vegetables. Season to taste. Put the lid on the casserole and cook for two hours at 140°C/gas mark 1.
- Half an hour before the end of the casserole's time in the oven, peel the sweet potatoes and boil for 20 minutes. Drain and mash with the butter and honey until smooth, and season to taste.
- Add back enough of the reserved gravy to moisten. Add the sweet potato mash evenly and fork over to create cross-hatch pattern.
- Return, uncovered to the oven and bake at 200°C/gas mark 6 for 30 minutes until the peaks of the potato are crispy and light brown.
- Serve with the reserved gravy, and steamed cabbage or, preferably (and if you can get it fresh) callaloo that's been steamed for four minutes with a little lemon juice until tender.
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…