Yellow Split Pea Dhal
Member recipe by joespenceley
- 250g yellow split pea
- 1 litre water
- 2 slices of ginger (can leave peel on)
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 red chilli cut into two large pieces
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2cm ginger finely chopped
- 1/2 red chilli finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp garam masala
- Juice 1/2 lemon
- 2 tomato chopped (Preferably peeled)
- 1 bunch chopped coriander leaf.
- Rince split pea until water runs clear.
- Boil 1 litre of water, add cinnamon stick, turmeric, chilli pieces and 2 slices of ginger. Simmer for 30-45 minutes (check packaging of split pea for recommended cooking lengths.)
- Heat oil in frying pan and add cumin seed. Fry for 30 seconds and add onion, chilli (add aditional chilli here if required), ginger. Fry until onion is soft. Add garlic, coriander, garam masala and salt and fry for further two minutes. Add tomato plus 100ml water and allow to cook for 20-30 minutes.
- Add spice mix to split pea and stir though. Squeeze in lemon juice and serve topped with coriander leaf.
- Eat as a main with roti or as a side.
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…