Indian Masala Rice
Member recipe by NB2911
- 400 grams of basmati rice (easily found in any supermarket)
- 1 large onion (chopped long)
- 2 large tomatoes
- 3 medium sized baby new potatoes, (boiled and peeled)
- 50 grams of green beans
- 2 dry red chillies
- lemon juice to taste
- 1 tbs grated ginger
- For the spices
- half tsp turmeric powder
- half tsp red chilli powder
- 2-3 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- Cook rice and keep aside.
- In 2-3 tbs veg oil add mustard seeds. Cook till they start to make a popping sound. Add the dry red chillies, saute for a few seconds. Add the chopped onions, cook until they become slightly translucent. Then add the diced tomatoes, beans and grated ginger, salt, red chilli powder and turmeric powder and cook on medium heat for 6-8 mins, making sure nothing burns and everything looks cooked. Then add the boiled, peeled and cut potatoes. Finally add the lemon juice.Taste the mixture at this point, and add salt or red chilli or lemon juice to adjust taste.
- Add this mixture to the cooked rice and heat on stove for about a 2-3 min and incorporate everything together.
- This dish can be frozen up-to 2 weeks in the freezer. When you want to reuse, just thaw, add some water and microwave until hot and steaming.
- Enjoy with some plain yogurt or in its own.
- I hope you enjoy making and serving it as much as I do.
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…