Beef Stew with Cheesy Croutons
Member recipe by linzmilner
- 900g Stewing Steak, Cut into Chunks
- 3 tbsp Plain Flour
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 330ml Brown Ale
- 25g Butter
- 4 Onions, Sliced
- 2 Sticks of Celery, Sliced
- 4 Garlic Cloves, Whole
- 1 tbsp Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 100g Emmental Cheese, Finely Grated
- 1 tbsp Mustard
- 1 Baguette, Sliced Diagonally
- Season the flour and toss the beef in it. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large casserole pan and and cook the beef until browned, remove the beef. splash a little of the ale into the pan and scrape off any crusty bits. pour this over the beef and wipe the pan clean.
- Add butter to clean pan and cook onions, celery and garlic for 10 minutes unitl soft and golden, add the sugar and vinegar and cook for another minute.
- Preheat oven to 170C/150C fan. return the beef to the pan and pour in the remaining beer, cover the pan, leaving a small gap for steam to escape and cook in the oven for 1hr 45mins
- For the croutons mix the cheese with the mustard, sprinkle a generous amount of cheese over the sliced bread. once the stew is cooked, season and top with the croutons, cook for a further 30 minutes uncovered until the croutons are golden and bubbling.