Beef Stew with Cheesy Croutons
Member recipe by linzmilner
- 900g Stewing Steak, Cut into Chunks
- 3 tbsp Plain Flour
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 330ml Brown Ale
- 25g Butter
- 4 Onions, Sliced
- 2 Sticks of Celery, Sliced
- 4 Garlic Cloves, Whole
- 1 tbsp Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 100g Emmental Cheese, Finely Grated
- 1 tbsp Mustard
- 1 Baguette, Sliced Diagonally
- Season the flour and toss the beef in it. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large casserole pan and and cook the beef until browned, remove the beef. splash a little of the ale into the pan and scrape off any crusty bits. pour this over the beef and wipe the pan clean.
- Add butter to clean pan and cook onions, celery and garlic for 10 minutes unitl soft and golden, add the sugar and vinegar and cook for another minute.
- Preheat oven to 170C/150C fan. return the beef to the pan and pour in the remaining beer, cover the pan, leaving a small gap for steam to escape and cook in the oven for 1hr 45mins
- For the croutons mix the cheese with the mustard, sprinkle a generous amount of cheese over the sliced bread. once the stew is cooked, season and top with the croutons, cook for a further 30 minutes uncovered until the croutons are golden and bubbling.
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…