Jamie's Bolognese Sauce
Member recipe by le_tucker
ServingsServes 1 - 8 Portions
Serve this with spaghetti, tagliatelle and penne or as the base for lasagne.
- 4 rashers of smoked streaky bacon finely sliced
- 3 large onions finely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 4 carrots finely chopped
- 4 sticks of celery finely chopped
- olive oil
- 4 heaped teaspoons of oregano
- 500g minced beef
- 500g minced pork
- 800g passata
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- a small bunch of basil
- 100g finely grated parmesan cheese
- Place a large pan on a medium heat. Add 2 lungs of olive oil, sliced bacon and oregano and cook, stir until the bacon is golden.
- Add the veg to the pan and stir every 30 seconds for around 7 minutes or until softened and lightly coloured
- Stir in the minced meat breaking it up with your spoon and brown. Add the passata and half the empty jar with water to the pan. Stir in a good pinch of salt and pepper.
- Pick the basil leaves and put back in the fridge, for later. Finely chop the basil stalks and stir into the pan.
- Bring to the boil. Turn the heat down and simmer with a lid slightly askew for 1 hour, stirring every now and again.
- Take the lid off and cook for another 30 minutes stirring occasionally. If sauce becomes dry add a splash of water.
- Remove the pan from the heat stir through the parmesan, tear and stir in the larger basil leaves.
- Serve with the smaller basil leaves sprinkled over.
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…