Adzuki Beans and Rice
Member recipe by micaiodice
- 2 cups brown rice
- 2 cups cooked adzuki beans (soaking overnight helps quicken the process)
- 2 sausages , chopped (You can use spicy varieties if you like)
- 2 onions , sliced
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 3 cups hot water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- green pepper , chopped
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 cube beef stock cube
- In a medium sized non-stick pot, heat the olive oil and brown the onions and garlic. Add pepper flakes, allow them to heat till aromatic. Add chopped sausage, fry until oils come out.
- Add adzuki beans to pot, stir well to blend flavours then add stock cube, onion powder and peppers. Stir for a minute or two, then add in hot water.
- When mixture comes to the boil, add in brown rice. You can adjust the amount of water at this point if it appears too dry.
- Reduce heat, allow to cook slowly with the lid half off the pot. Once rice is half cooked, then you can stir. If you stir too soon, the rice with become mushy! It should be done after 20 minutes or so, depending on the type of rice and stove you have.
- Serve warm, topped with chopped scallions, or spring onions if you like, and a scoop of sour cream will go well with this too. Delicious.
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…