Smoked Mackerel Pate
Member recipe by charlottebryan23
ServingsServes 1 - 6 Portions
Quick and easy creamy pate - great on toast as a snack or a fantastic dinner party starter!
- 1 pack/280g peppered smoked mackerel fillets
- 1 200g pack of cream cheese
- 1 tbsp of creme fraiche
- juice of half a lemon
- Optional Extras:
- 1 tsp jarred horseradish
- handful chopped chives
- handful chopped parsley
- Start by removing the skin from the mackerel fillets. Usually the skin will peel straight off but you can easily scrape any remaining skin off with a sharp knife.
- Roughly break up the fish, checking for any obvious bones or scales.
- Place the mackerel, cream cheese and creme fraiche (plus any additional ingredients if using) in a blender or food processor and whizz for 1 minute to ensure that all the mackerel flesh and peppercorns are combined. While the food processor is running add lemon juice to taste.
- Double check that all the ingredients are incorporated and give it a taste to check the seasoning! Then decant into a medium serving bowl or into individual portions - don't worry if the mixture is a little runny, it will firm up in the fridge. Garnish with parsley/chives/lemon, cover with cling-film and place in the fridge for at least an hour. Can be made in advance and keeps well in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Serve with crusty brown toast and enjoy!