Member recipe by chris210
ServingsServes 1 - 2 Cakes
A traditional Romanian Cheesecake that is great for any occasion. 1 cake will feed 8 people happily, so be careful!
- 7 tbsp milk
- 7 tbsp vegetable oil
- 6 tbsp sugar
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 375g plain flour
- 1.25 Kg cups ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- 400g icing sugar
- 140g unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp semolina
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Prepare the dough: in a small saucepan heat milk, oil, and sugar. When it starts to boil, remove from heat and let cool until just warm
- Move the mixture into a bowl, and add the egg, baking soda, and the flour. Mix until a dough is formed.
- Divide the dough into 2 parts. Roll out both of them on a floured surface into a rectangle of the pan size.
- Place one of the dough parts on the bottom of a pan lined with a baking sheet.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Prepare the filling: Melt the butter and cool it until just warm. Add in all the rest of the fillings ingredients and mix until a homogenic mixture is formed.
- Pour filling onto the dough in a cake tin (cut to side) and spread evenly.
- Using a fork, make holes on the other half of the dough, cut to around 1cm larger than the cake tin to accommodate shrinkage during baking, and then place it on top of the filling.
- Bake for about 35 minutes or until the top part turns golden.
- Cool, powder with icing sugar before serving.
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…