Mackerel Fingers with Rocket
Member recipe by rorygillies
Cooking timePlus at least one hour for the vinaigrette
Fresh mackerel fingers with wild rocket, baby new potatoes and a mint and citrus vinaigrette - a delicious summer supper!
- For the mackerel fingers:
- 4 fresh mackerel fillets
- 50g strong brown flour (coarse bread flour works well)
- 2 tsp paprika
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil for frying
- For the vinaigrette:
- Handful fresh mint leaves, chopped
- Handful fresh curly parsley, chopped
- Juice of one lemon
- Juice of one lime
- 20ml extra virgin olive oil
- 50ml Balsamic Vinegar of Modena
- To serve:
- Baby new potatoes, boiled until dry in salty water
- Fresh wild rocket leaves
- Combine all the vinaigrette ingredients in a blender, don't over blend, there should still be mint leaves clearly visible in the mix. Set aside in the fridge for at least an hour, overnight is better.
- To prepare the mackerel fingers, cut the centre (pin bone) strip lengthways from each fillet, two cuts will remove a thin strip containing the bones. Mix the flour with the paprika, salt and pepper and coat each of the eight mackerel fingers well. Set aside in the fridge.
- For the potatoes, cook them whole and skin on in very salty water. You want to time them so the water boils dry just when they are ready leaving a salty crust on the skin.
- In a frying pan heat the oil until almost smoking and fry the fingers for about two minutes skin side down. Reduce the heat a little and turn the fingers over, cook for a further minute or two until they are crispy and golden brown on the outside (the flesh should be deliciously succulent).
- To serve, place a good bed of rocket on each plate with four mackerel fingers arranged on the leaves. Place the potatoes around the rocket and pour a generous drizzle of vinaigrette over the mackerel. Serve immediately and enjoy!
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…