Chocolate and Ginger Cake
Member recipe by mrsannachild
ServingsServes 1 - 1 Cake
A rich stodgy cake with fresh and dried ginger, cocoa, dark chocolate, spices and molasses.
- 125g butter
- 200g molasses or treacle or dark brown sugar, or use half and half
- 150ml milk
- 1 egg
- about 2 thumbs of fresh ginger chopped finely
- 150g wholemeal flour
- 50g ground almonds
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- pinch nutmeg
- pinch smoked sweet paprika
- pinch salt
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 shake of cayenne or hot paprika or chilli powder
- 100g dark chocolate broken into small chunks
- 2 tbsp cocoa
- Grease 23cm sq appoximately baking tin and get the oven going at 160C.
- In a pan melt butter, sugars and treacles. Take off the heat and stir in the milk and chopped fresh ginger. Gradually stir in beaten egg.
- Put all the dry ingrediants in a bowl except for the choclate, if you don't have any ground almonds just substitute for flour. Mix the Liquid mixture into the cry ingrediants.
- Stir in the Chocolate pieces and pour into the baking tin.
- Bake for about 1 hour and don't open the oven until this time has passed otherwise it will sink. Check it's cooked with a knife in the middle.
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…