Chili Bean Casserole
Member recipe by sebastien100
- * ½ pound Uncooked Kidney Beans
- * ½ pound Mixed Vegetables (carrots, bell peppers and celery)
- * 1½ pints Stock
- * 2 pints Water
- * 1 Garlic Clove (pressed)
- * 1 Onion (chopped)
- * 1 tbsp Chili Powder
- * ½ tsp Basil
- * ½ tsp Cumin
- * ¼ tsp Cayenne Pepper
- * 14 ounces Tomatoes (chopped)
- * 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- * 2 ounces Bulgur Wheat
- * 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- * 2 tbsp Tomato Paste
- * 3 tbsp Red Wine
- * Salt (to taste)
- * Pepper (to taste)
- Soak the beans in water and drain after some time. Wash them well under running water.
- Boil in high flame in fresh water for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat and cook for 40 minutes, depending upon the freshness of the beans. It takes longer to cook older beans.
- Drain the water off and preserve the liquid for being used later.
- Place a pan on medium flame and add olive oil.
- Add onions and garlic and fry them.
- Add the cooked beans, chopped vegetables, basil, chili powder, cumin and cayenne powder. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Next, put in the tomatoes, tomato paste, bulgur wheat and 1 pint of the preserved stock.
- ring to a boil on a high flame. Reduce heat, cover the top and let it simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add lemon juice, red wine, salt and pepper. Add more stock if the consistency becomes too thick. Cook for a further 20 minutes. Serve hot.
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…