Easy lemon cake
Member recipe by k_allen18
- 175g butter, softened
- 175g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 175g self-raising flour
- 2 lemons
- For the icing
- 1/2 lemon
- 200g icing sugar
- 100g unsalted butter, softened
- Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4. Grease two 20cm/8 inch round sandwich tins and line with non-stick baking paper.
- Place the butter and sugar in a bowl and cream together until thick and pale. Beat the 3 eggs and add to the bowl, then sift in the flour gradually. Finely grate the zest from the 2 lemons into the bowl, and squeeze 1 tbsp lemon juice and add.
- Beat together for about 2 minutes, until the mixture is light and fluffy. Spoon into the tins and spread level. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until firm and golden, and leave to cool in the tins for 10 minutes. Then turn out onto a wire rack and leave until completely cooled.
- To make the icing, beat the butter with the icing sugar until light and fluffy, and squeeze 1 tbsp lemon juice into the mixture.
- Spread the icing over the top of each cake using a palette knife, and sandwich together.
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…