Top tips for perfect homemade bread:
- Mix the flour, salt and yeast in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre, add the oil and water, and mix well. If the dough seems a little stiff, add 1-2 tbsp water.
- Tip the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and knead it until the dough becomes satin-smooth.
- Place it in a lightly oiled bowl to prove. Leave to prove for 1 hour until doubled in size or place in the fridge overnight.
- Knock back the dough, then gently mould it into a ball. Place it on a baking tray lined with parchment to prove for a further hour until doubled in size.
- Dust the loaf with flour and cut a cross, about 6cm wide, into the top of the loaf.
- Preheat the oven to 220˚C/fan 200˚C/gas 7 and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Bake until golden brown and the loaf sounds hollow when tapped underneath.
- Cool on a wire rack.
Turn your homemade loaf into a delicious breakfast with our review of the best toasters.
VIDEO RECIPEThis video uses our Easy white bread recipe. It shows the basic techniques needed for most bread recipes.