Santa's stocking cake
- Preparation and cooking time
- Ready in 30 minutes, plus drying
This fun and festive cake is popular with kids and adults alike
- 18-23cm fruit cake covered with marzipan and ready-to-roll white icing
- 250g ready-to-roll white icing (see 'Try' tip)
- pink, green and orange food colouring (or use colours of your choice)
- 1 quantity soft royal icing (see 'Try' tip)
- thin red ribbon
- orange, green and pink Smarties , plus 3 small gift boxes
- STEP 1
Knead the ready-to-roll icing until smooth, then split into three equal pieces and colour each with colouring. Roll out to approx ½cm thickness and, using a template, cut out eight stocking shapes. Set aside.
- STEP 2
Make the royal icing and colour as before. With the end of a skewer, dot small 'spots' all over the stocking shapes (or use a piping bag). Set aside to dry. Keep the coloured icing covered with cling film until later.
- STEP 3
Fix the ribbon around the top edge of the cake, using a thin line of icing to help it stick. Using a little leftover coloured icing, ‘hang’ the stockings on the cake, just underneath the ribbon, in alternating colours. Top the cake with Smartie-filled boxes and scatter Smarties over the cake and cake board.