Easy Naan Bread
Member recipe by dhende84
- 200 g plain flour (alternatively: use self-raising flour)
- 1 tsp sugar (can be omitted if you use self-raising flour)
- 1 tsp fresh yeast (can be omitted if you use self-raising flour)
- 150 ml warm water
- 1 tbsp ghee (note: use vegetable oil or butter if you prefer vegetarian)
- 1 tsp salt
- 50 g unsalted butter
- (1 tsp poppy seeds)
- If you use plain flour: Mix the sugar and yeast with the warm water and rest for about 10 minutes. (Can be omitted if you use self-raising flour).
- Place the flour in a large mixing bowl and add the yeast mixture (for plain flour) or the water (for self-raising flour). Add the ghee (or oil/butter) and salt and mix well. Add some extra water or flour as required. Tip: for a nice variation, add garlic, finely chopped coriander leaves, and sultanas to the dough.
- Knead for about 5 minutes on a smooth working surface until you have a smooth dough. Place the dough back in the bowl, cover, and leave to rise for 1-1.5 hours in a warm place.
- To finish off the bread, begin by preheating the oven grill for some 10 minutes until it is red hot. Knead the dough for another 2 minutes and either divide into 4-6 equal portions, or keep in one piece. In any case, roll out to a thickness of about 1 cm (0.5 in). lace the dough on a suitable greased oven plate and grill for 7-10 minutes, turning once or twice. Each time, brush the surface of the bread with some butter and sprinkle some poppy seeds over the bread. Tip: you can also sprinkle some sugar in addition to, or instead of, the poppy seeds. Serve warm