Points to remember
- Preheat oven to 180C/fan 160C; grease and line two sandwich tins with baking parchment.
- Cream butter and sugar together in a large bowl until pale and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs in a few additions until the mixture is thick and voluminous.
- Gently fold in the flour using large metal spoon, working in a gentle figure of 8 motion to preserve all the air you've whisked in. Keep going until no dry lumps of flour remain.
- Divide between the two tins and bake for 25-30 mins (for an 8" sponge) until the sponges are risen, golden and feel springy to the touch. Leave to cool in the tins for a few mins, then release by running a knife around the edge.
- Place on a wire rack to cool completely. Peel off the baking parchment and then sandwich with your cream, buttercream or your favourite jam.