Points to remember
- Melt the sugar and golden syrup in a deep saucepan over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Have the bicarbonate of soda and a baking parchment-lined tray ready on the side.
- Once the sugar has dissolved, turn up the heat and bubble the mixture until you have a deep amber colour. Turn off the heat.
- Work quickly once the caramel has reached the right colour as it will continue to cook and may darken and burn. Be careful as sugar gets very hot and can cause nasty burns.
- Add the bicarbonate of soda and mix well before pouring into the tin.
- Try dipping the pieces of honeycomb in melted chocolate - they will keep for longer, about 1 month.