Points to remember
- Blitz the sugar, salt and flavourings in a food processor to make the cure.
- Lay one salmon fillet skin-side down. Pack the cure on top.
- Lay the other fillet flesh-side down on top so that the cure is sandwiched in the middle.
- Wrap the fish tightly in cling film. Put weights on top - you can use cans if you like - and refrigerate.
- Leave for 2 – 4 days, turning the fish every 12 hours. The longer you leave the salmon the more cured it will be.
- Cut the salmon thinly at an angle to create a slice that looks like a ‘D’, leaving the skin behind.