- 400g lean turkey mince (choose breast instead of thigh mince if you can, as it has less fat)
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
Onions are endlessly versatile and an essential ingredient in countless recipes. Native to Asia…
- 1 large carrot, chopped
The carrot, with its distinctive bright orange colour, is one of the most versatile root…
- 3 celery sticks, chopped
A collection of long, thick, juicy stalks around a central, tender heart, celery ranges in…
- 250g pack brown mushroom, finely chopped
The mushroom is a fungus which comes in a wide range of varieties that belong to two distinct…
- pinch of sugar
Honey and syrups made from concentrated fruit juice were the earliest known sweeteners. Today,…
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomato with garlic & herbs
- 400ml chicken stock, made from 1 low-sodium stock cube
- cooked wholemeal pasta and fresh basil leaves (optional), to serve
Heat a large non-stick frying pan and dry-fry the turkey mince until browned. Tip onto a plate and set aside.
Add the oil and gently cook the onion, carrot and celery until softened, about 10 mins (add a splash of water if it starts to stick). Add the mushrooms and cook for a few mins, then add the sugar and tomato purée, and cook for 1 min more, stirring to stop it from sticking.
Add the tomatoes, turkey and stock with some seasoning. Simmer for at least 20 mins (or longer) until thickened. Serve with the pasta and fresh basil, if you have it.