- 1-2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra if needed
Probably the most widely-used oil in cooking, olive oil is pressed from fresh olives. It's…
- 400g diced stewing beef
- 1 onion, finely chopped
Onions are endlessly versatile and an essential ingredient in countless recipes. Native to Asia…
- 2 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1½ tsp ground cumin
- 1-2 tbsp chipotle paste (or gluten-free alternative), depending on how spicy you like it
- 400g can kidney bean in chilli sauce
- 400g can chopped tomato
- 1 lime, zested and cut into wedges
The same shape, but smaller than…
- ¼ small pack coriander, leaves only
- cooked rice, to serve (optional)
Rice is a grain, the seed of a type of grass, which is the most widely grown and the most…
Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the beef pieces for a few mins on each side until browned all over. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
Add the onion to the pan, with extra oil if needed, and cook until softened. Stir in the garlic, cumin and chipotle paste, and cook for 1 min. Sieve the kidney beans, reserving the sauce. Add this sauce, along with the chopped tomatoes and a can full of water, to the pan. Stir well, then return the meat to the pan. Bring to a simmer, then cook, covered, for 2 hrs or until the beef is tender (or bake in the oven for 3 hrs at 160C/140C fan/gas 3).
Add the reserved kidney beans and lime zest, season and warm through. Serve with a scattering of coriander leaves, the lime wedges to squeeze over, and rice, if you like.