Cinnamon Rock Cakes
Member recipe by beckiejones
ServingsServes 1 - 8 Cakes
- 226g self-raising flour
- 113g demerara sugar plus some for sprinkling
- 113g margarine
- 113g dried mixed fruit (currants, sultanas, peel etc.)
- 1 egg
- a splash of milk
- 1/2 tsp ground mixed spice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (if, like me, you are cinnamons biggest fan, then add a whole tsp instead of half.)
- Preheat the oven to 175C. Sieve the flour into a large mixing bowl and then add the ground mixed spice and the cinnamon. Mix through well.
- Next, add the margarine and mix to resemble fine breadcrumbs with your fingers. Add the sugar and then mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon. Pour a beaten egg into the mixture until it comes together to a sticky, dough ball. You made need a little milk at this point but add it a splash at a time.
- Place the mixture in generous lumps on a baking tray and then sprinkle with sugar. Don't smooth them out too much at this stage as they look much better when cooked, if they remain lumpy.
- Bake in the oven for 10-20 minutes, or until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Then Enjoy! They are perfect with cups of tea and coffee and delicious with clotted cream when still warm from the oven!!
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…