Sarah's lemon cupcakes
Member recipe by sarahjane_connett
ServingsServes 1 - 12 Cakes
I love baking cupcakes and this is a mix of a few recipes i've tried. Really yummy citrus icing gives them a tang.
- Cake ingrediants
- 110g butter
- 110g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 75g self-raising flour, sieved
- 3 drops lemon extract
- For the icing
- 175g icing sugar, sieved
- 3 to 4 tablespoons of lemon juice from a fresh lemon
- Lemon rind zest
- 3 drops of yellow food colouring
- Pre-heat oven to Gas Mark 4. Put baking cases into a 12 cake/muffin tray.
- Cream the butter and sugar
- Beat in the eggs and the lemon extract
- Add the flour, beat the mixture until lump free (I use an electric beater).
- Place spoonfuls of the mixture into the baking cases and bake for about 20/25 minutes (check with a skewer). Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a cooling rack.
- Add lemon juice to the icing sugar, one tablespoon at a time until the icing is smooth but not too runny. Add food colouring.
- Spread icing on each cupcake (cakes should be cool), I put a dollop of icing in the centre of each cake, let it settle outwards naturally and push out lightly to edges of the cupcake with a knife. As the cupcake tops are quite moist, youÃ¢ÂÂll get crumbs in the icing if you spread roughly.
- Sprinkle lemon rind on to icing
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…