Roast Leg of Welsh Lamb
Member recipe by 1laurawatts
The ultimate family favourite using the very best: Welsh Lamb. Easy to follow recipe and succulent flavours ensure the best results for your sit down feast.
- Welsh Lamb leg joint, allow 175-350g (6-12oz) per person
- 450g (1lb) lamb or beef sausages, slit skins and remove meat
- 90ml (6tbsp) gin
- 45ml (3tbsp) cranberry sauce
- 4 small red onions
- 5ml (1tsp) butter
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Weigh joint and calculate cooking time. Line a roasting pan with 2 sheets of foil & place the lamb leg onto the foil. Mix together the gin & cranberry jelly and spoon this over the lamb. Scrunch the foil around the joint, but leave the top exposed.
- Baste occasionally during cooking.
- Cut the onions in half horizontally (stalk at top) and using a spoon scoop out some of the layers leaving 2-3 in the shell.
- Roughly chop the removed onion. In a pan heat butter and lightly fry onion.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Add the rosemary and sausage meat and combine together.
- Take a handful of mixture and stuff into onion shells. Prop up around the joint, drizzle with a little olive oil and cook for 40-50 minutes until onion soft and fully golden. Rest the joint for about 15 minutes.
- Serve with roasted potatoes, baked onions, seasonal vegetables and cranberry gin meat juices.
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…