Member recipe by charleymelon
- 225g/6 oz self-raising flour
- pinch of salt
- 115g/4 oz butter, cut into small pieces, plus extra for greasing
- 115g/4 oz demerara sugar
- 100g/3ÃÂ½ oz grated coconut, plus extra for sprinkling
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 tbsp milk
- Preheat the oven to 160C/325F/Gas Mark 3. Grease a 900-g/2-lb loaf tin and line with baking paper.
- Sift the flour and salt into a mixing bowl and rub in the butter with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the sugar, coconut, eggs and milk and mix to a soft dropping consistency.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth the surface with a palette knife. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven and sprinkle with the extra coconut. Return the cake to the oven and bake for an additional 30 minutes, until well risen and golden and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Leave the cake to cool slightly in the tin, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…