Member recipe by johnfrw
- 450 g whole salmon
- 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- pinches bay leaves
- 1/2 lemon, juice only
- 100 g butter, diced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 50 g clarified butter, for the topping
- Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Cut the fish into 1cm slices and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the spices and lemon juice and season to taste.
- Stir in the butter and chopped onion, and spoon the mixture into an ovenproof dish - it should be about 3cm in depth. Cover with a tightly fitting lid.
- Stand the dish in a roasting tin, half-filled with hot water, taking care that the water doesn't seep into the sealed salmon mixture. Bake for about 45 minutes, or until the fish is flaky to the touch. Remove from the oven and leave on one side to cool.
- Flake the salmon with a fork and stir in the parsley. Check the seasoning before spooning the cooked fish mixture into small ramekins. Chill for a couple of hours.
- Pour a thin layer of melted clarified butter over the chilled pots and return to the fridge to set.