Charlotte's Simple Sponge Cake
Member recipe by charlie_0308
ServingsServes 1 - 8 Slices
- 170g margarine
- 170g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 170g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 180/fan Cream together margarine and caster sugar
- One at a time beat the eggs and add to the mixture with a tbsp of the flour
- Fold in the remaining flour and baking powder
- Split mixture into 2 sandwich tins and bake for about 20mins
- When done the cake/s should be golden brown and spongy to touch
- Tips: grease the tin with some extra margarine then coat with some extra flour for easy removal from the tin
- Filling idea: Whipped cream, rasberry jam and a layer of strawberries tastes and looks good in a cake.
- Filling idea: Try Chocolate Butter icing (icing sugar, cocoa, and butter) from a bit of chocolate indulgence.
- For a decorative finish place a doilie over the cake and sprinkle with icing sugar. carefully remove the doilie, leaving behind a pattern of sugar.
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…