Beef Stew & dumplings
Member recipe by edwa453
- 1lb lean frying beef steak, cubed
- 2tbsp groundnut oil (or similar)
- 2 tins of oxtail or muligatawny soup
- Mix (about 500g) of vegetables such as:
- baby potatoes (if you don't like dumplings)
- 50g self raising flour
- 25g suet
- water to mix
- Dried mixed herbs
- Salt & pepper
- Heat oil in large saucepan, fry beef until browned
- Chop vegetables into similar sized pieces.
- Add root vegetables 1st (swede, carrots, parsnip, onions, potatoes if using). Stir into meat juices & fry for 3-4 mins
- Add remaining vegetables, stir & add oxtail or muligatawny soup. Add saucepan lid & cook for 50 - 60 mins on a low heat
- Meanwhile in a bowl mix all dry ingredients for dumplings. Add water a tablespoon at a time until dry mixture starts to come together & you can mold into small balls (about the size of a egg cup). Add to stew 15 minutes before you want to serve. They will fluff up to about twice their uncooked size. Serve in large bowls with crusty bread to accompany
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…