- 1kg stewing beef, cut into large chunks
- 2 onion, chopped
Onions are endlessly versatile and an essential ingredient in countless recipes. Native to Asia…
- 800g (2 cans) chopped tomatoes
A member of the nightshade family (along with aubergines, peppers and chillies), tomatoes are in…
- 2 tsp each sweet paprika, ground cumin and mild chilli powder
A spice that's central to Hungarian cuisine, paprika is made by drying a particular type of…
- 2 tbsp red or white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 400g can butter beans, rinsed and drained
Heat oven to 160C/ 140C fan/gas 3. Mix the beef, onions, tomatoes, spices, vinegar and sugar in a casserole dish. Cover and bake for 2½ hrs. Stir in the beans and bake for 30 mins more (with the lid off if the casserole is a little wet or lid on if good consistency), until the beef is tender.
Cool, then freeze in 6-8 portions in small food bags or plastic containers. Defrost in microwave or overnight in fridge, then heat in the morning and transfer to a thermos container, or heat in the microwave at lunchtime.
3 ways to serve it
1. Wrap in soft tortillas with lettuce and soured cream. 2. Top with crumbled feta or grated cheddar and eat with wholemeal pitta or rice. 3. Add leftover cooked spuds with peas or sweetcorn to make it into a one-pot lunch.