French Onion Soup
Member recipe by coopersned
A lovely tasty french onion soup that I always make for a dinner party!
- 2oz butter
- 1kg onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 dsp brown sugar
- 375ml white wine
- 750ml beef stock
- For the croutons
- 1 french stick
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 100g gruyere cheese, grated
- Heat butter in a large pan and when it has melted add the onions and fry on a high heat for 2-3 mins
- Turn the heat down, add the garlic and sugard and sweat for at least 20 minutes.
- Turn the heat back up and deglaze the pan with a glass of the white wine scrapping all the bits of the bottom of the pan.
- Add the rest of the wine and the beef stock and simmer on a low heat for about 30 minutes and season to taste.
- White simmering the soup slice the french stick and drizzle with oliver oil and bake in the oven for about 20 minutes (until starting to crisp)
- When crisp rub with the garlic cloves, top with some grated cheese and grill until the cheese just starts to melt.
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…