Moist Carrot Cake
Member recipe by summersharkey
A great recipe for a mouth watering, moist carrot cake. Originally adapted from a parsnip cake recipe. Contains no eggs or dairy.
- 250g Wholemeal self-raising flour
- 1 tbsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp Ground nutmeg
- 130g Margarine
- 130g Light brown sugar
- 250g Carrots, grated
- 1 Medium banana, mashed
- 1 Orange, rind finely grated and juiced
- For the topping (optional)
- 225g Vegan cream cheese
- 3 tbsp Icing sugar
- 1 Small orange, juiced
- Fine Strips of orange peel
- A light dusting of Icing sugar
- W/Soya custard or cream
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Lightly grease a 2lb loaf tin or tin of choice.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and spices into a large bowl.
- Melt the margarine in a pan, add the sugar and stir until dissolved.
- Make a well in the flour mixture, then add the margarine and sugar. Mix in the parsnips, banana and orange rind and juice.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and level the top with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. allow to cool before removing from the tin.
- (optional) For the topping beat together the cream cheese, icing sugar, orange juice and strips of orange peel, until smooth. Spread the topping evenly over the cake.
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…