Paella-style dirty rice
Member recipe by katiedorey
veggie version of 'dirty rice' using kidney beans instead of chicken livers.
- 350g long grain rice
- 2tbsp ground cumin
- 2litres vegetable stock, hot
- 1tbsp oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 celery sticks, chopped
- 2 x 400g cans kidney beans in water, drained and rinsed
- small handful chopped fresh coriander
- 2 handfuls baby spinache
- 150g okra, blanched
- 1tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- pinch smoked paprika
- Put the rice, cumin and stock in a large saucepan over a high heat. Bring the boil and simmer for 15mins or until the rice is just cooked and most of the stock has been absorbed.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add onion, garlic and celery, cook for 6-8mins until soft but not coloured.
- Take the cooked rice off the heat, add the onion mixture and add the onion mixture and all the remaining ingredients. Mix well. Season to taste.
- Serve with soft boiled eggs or as a side to a larger meal
- Per serving: 590kcal, 9.4g fat, 1.5g sat fat, 25.5g protein, 112.3g carbs, 7.6g sugar, 0.8g salt
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…