Member recipe by vintageabbie
This amazing Greek dish makes for a lighter, interesting alternative to Shepherd's pie, a great weekend meal
- 2 aubergines, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1lb minced lamb
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes
- 2tbsp tomato paste
- 2tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp cinnammon
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 pt white sauce
- 1 egg, separated
- 2oz cheese, grated
- Mixture of grated cheese and breadcrumbs for topping
- Olive oil
- Brush the oil over the aubergine and grill on both sides until lightly brown. Press aubergine between sheets of kitchen roll to drain off the excess oil and set aside.
- Fry the onion and garlic until soft then add the lamb. Cook through then drain thoroughly. Return to the pan and add the tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, cinnammon and cumin. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20mins.
- Layer the aubergine and meat mixture into a dish, ending with a layer of aubergine.
- Add the cheese to the white sauce with the egg yolk and mix in. Whisk the egg whites into peaks then fold slowly into the cheese sauce.
- Pour the sauce over the aubergine then top with the remaining cheese and breadcrumbs. Bake in the oven gas mark 4 for 45mins.
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…