Lemon and Poppy seed Cake
Member recipe by ellie_bee42
The secret to this cake is careful beating when adding the flour. Keep movements light and fold everything gently but ensure it is still combined.
- 225g butter
- 150g caster sugar
- 4 large eggs
- zest of 1 large lemon
- 225g self-raising flour
- 1/2 tbsp poppy seeds
- 150g icing sugar
- lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 170ÃÂÃÂ°C. Set the oven rack up to the middle shelf. Grease and fully line a 2lb/900g loaf pan.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the lemon zest and beat in until fully distributed. Beat the eggs in a separate bowl and add gradually to the butter ans sugar mixture. Add in a small teaspoon of the flour if it begins to curdle.
- Sift in the flour and add poppy seeds. Fold in gently but thoroughly so the mixture is combined but hasnÃÂ¢ÃÂÃÂt been beaten too much. Put into the tin and smooth the top evenly.
- Put into the oven and bake for 45-55 minutes until golden and cooked through. If it begins to burn a little on top cover with some foil.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool for about 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool fully. When cool make a glaze for the top, by sieving the icing sugar and stirring in lemon juice until the consistency is wet enough to pour over the cake.