Bakewell tart with rhubarb
Member recipe by tweety_anja
- 500g rhubarb, cut into short lengths
- 225g caster sugar, plus 1 tbsp for sprinkling
- 1 small orange, zested and 2 tbsp juice
- 375g pack sweet shortcrust pastry
- 150g softened butter
- 100g ground almonds
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 50g plain flour
- handful flaked almonds
- 500g pot custard
- Preheat the oven to Gas 4/ 180C/ 160C fan. Toss the rhubarb with 75g of the sugar then spread over a baking tray. Sprinkle with 2 tbsp orange juice, roast for 20 minutes, then cool.
- Roll out the pastry to line a 23cm loose-bottomed tart tin. Leave excess hanging over and prick the base with a fork. Chill for 20 minutes until firm. Line with baking paper and baking beans and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the beans and paper, then bake for a further 10 minutes. Trim the edges when cool.
- Remove the rhubarb from the syrup. Mash half and spread over the pastry. Beat together the remaining sugar, butter, almonds, eggs, almond extract, baking powder, salt and flour until creamy. Spoon the mixture over the rhubarb puree, then scatter with the remaining rhubarb, flaked almonds and 1 tbsp sugar
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until golden and risen. Cool in the tin until warm. Stir the orange zest through the custard, reserving some to sprinkle on top, and warm.
- Slice the tart and serve with a drizzle of the rhubarb syrup and the zesty custard.
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…