South African Babootie
Member recipe by essjay77
Easy, great tasting authentic South African mince dish, great for feeding a crowd!
- For the main dish
- 1 Slice of white bread without crusts
- 400g Lamb mince
- 1 Large onion
- 1 Egg
- 2 Tbsp white vinegar
- 100g Raisins
- 100g Apricots, chopped
- 2 Tbsp medium curry powder
- For the topping
- 1 Egg
- 250ml Milk
- Salt and Pepper
- Bay leaves (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180C/Fan 160C/Gas 5
- In a bowl, add just enough milk to the slice of bread to soak. Fry the onion and mince until browned, and drain off any fat.
- Add 1 Egg, the vinegar, raisins, apricots and curry powder to the bowl with the soaked bread. Add the mince and onion, and mix well.
- Pour this mixture into a baking dish, ensuring the top is level.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together the other egg, the milk and salt and pepper. Pour this over the top of the mince until covered.
- Push bay leaves into the mince if using, and cook for 45 minutes in the oven until topping has solidified.
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…