Member recipe by mswanton
A yummy starter or canapÃÂ© t share with the family or a big crowd
- For the asparagus :
- Sunflower or vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 50g plain flour, plus 3tbsp extra for dusting
- 1tsp cornflour
- 100ml chilled sparkling or soda water
- 2 x (250g) bunches of asparagus
- For the dipping sauce:
- 1Ã¢ÂÂ2 red chilli, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 2tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 small clove of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2tsp caster sugar
- 1tsp freshly grated root ginger
- 2tsp chopped coriander
- Mix all of the ingredients for the dipping sauce together and leave for about 30 minutes.
- Pour enough oil into a wok or large pan to come halfway up the pan. Heat the oil to 180Â°C. To tes, drop in a 2-3cm cube of bread â it should be golden and crisp in 1 minute
- Place the flour, cornflour and a good pinch of salt in a bowl and mix in the soda water with a chopstick until it is just combined â a thin, slightly lumpy mixture.
- When the oil is ready, trim the ends off the asparagus, rinse under the tap, dust in the 3tbsp of flour, and then briefly dip into the batter.
- Drop straight into the oil, a few at a time, for just 1 to 2 minutes, until pale golden and crisp. Drain on kitchen paper and serve with the sauce.
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…