Member recipe by debbie31
This is a favorite way to cook and eat Smoked Herring in the Caribbean. When prepared this way, it can be eaten with rice, bread,
- When cooked this way, this dish is served for lunch or dinner.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20minutes
- Yield: Serves 3
- 8 oz smoked herring fillets
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- Minced hot pepper to taste
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbsp minced thyme
- 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 green onions sliced thinly - white and green
- Add the smoked herring filets to a sauce pan with water, cover and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes and drain thoroughly. When cool enough to handle, chop fish into tiny pieces and set aside.
- Add oil to a skillet and heat Toss in onions and saute until translucent.
- Add tomatoes, pepper, garlic and thyme and continue to saute for a minute.
- Add fish and toss to mix, cook for 5 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and green onions; remove from heat. Serve immediately or at room temperature.
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…