Authentic Durban Chicken Curry
Member recipe by georgiacooks
Authentic Durban Chicken Curry is a pungent dish comprised of chicken simmered in a spicy gravy. It does not contain any saccharine ingredients. Key ingredients include garamasla, finely chopped onions and tomatoes, curry leaves and coriander.
- 6 chicken pieces cut into smaller portions
- 1 teaspoon ginger and garlic
- Half cup peas
- 4 medium potatoes quartered
- 2 medium sized onions sliced fine
- 1 teaspoon garamasala
- 1 tablespoon Chicken curry masala or chilli powder of choice
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- desired limit salt (I used 1 teaspoon)
- 6 curry leaves (optional)
- 1 bunch fresh coriander
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 500ml water
- Add half teaspoon oil to a heated heavy based pan. Brown the chicken pieces on both sides for a minute or two.
- Lower the heat. Remove the chicken from the pan. Add finely chopped onions. Fry for 2-3 minutes until soft. Add remaining oil. Add ginger and garlic.
- Add powdered spices. Mix. Braise for 2-3 minutes.
- Add half cup water. Mix. Add chopped tomatoes. Mix. Add chicken pieces. Add another cup water. Mix.
- Add potatoes and peas. Add salt. Add remaining water. Cover and allow to cook on medium heat for 25-30 minutes.
- Serve warm with rice and carrot salad.
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…