Member recipe by Hayleybee10
ServingsServes 1 - 12
- 60g butter
- 250g self raising flour
- 2tsp baking powder
- 30g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 150ml milk
- butter and jam to serve
- *5cm (2inch) pastry cutter
- Lightly butter a large baking tray. Preheat your oven to 220c (425F, gas 7)
- Sift the flour and baking powder in a bowl. Rub in the butter with the fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. stir in the sugar.
- Break the egg into a measring jug and make up to 150ml with milk. Beat lighlty to mix. Add to the bowl and mix to a soft dough.
- Lightly knead the dough until smooth. Roll out until 1cm thick, cut into rounds with the pastry cutter, and put on the baking tray. Brush with milk.
- put them into the oven for about 10 minutes until wll risen and golden. cool on a wire rack. serve on the day of making if possible, with butter and jam.
- CHEESE SCONES:
- Omit the sugar, and add 125g grated mature cheddar cheese and 1/2 tsp mustard powder to the dry ingredients before mixing inthe egg and milk. Roll out the dough into a 15cm round and cut it into wedges. Brush with milk, sprinkle with finely grated cheese and bake as directed.
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…