Mince Pie Cupcakes
Member recipe by edwardsc
ServingsServes 1 - 12 Cakes
Christmas cupcakes filled with mincemeat and topped with brandy butter - a new take on the traditional mince pie!
- For the cakes:
- 125g butter (softened)
- 125g caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs (at room temperature)
- 125g self raising flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3tbsp semi skimmed milk
- For the topping/filling:
- 12 heaped tsp of mincemeat (approx 250g)
- 125g butter (softened)
- 250g icing sugar
- 3 tbsp brandy
- Preheat the oven to 180.
- Cream together the butter, caster sugar and vanilla essence until smooth and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- In separate bowl, sift together the flour and baking powder, then add to the batter and mix well until incorporated. Add the milk to loosen the mixture, mixing to a soft, smooth consistency.
- Line a 12 hole muffin tin with muffin cases and divide the mixture evenly between them. Bake for 25 minutes without opening the oven door to check them for the first 20 - this stops them from collapsing!
- Remove from the oven, turn the cupcakes out of the tin and leave to cool on a wire rack while you make the icing.
- Cream the butter and icing sugar together until smooth and fluffy, then mix in the brandy. You may have to add a little more icing sugar or a tablespoon of flour if the icing becomes too runny. It should be firm enough to hold a peak if a spoon is dipped in and removed. Spoon into a piping bag fitted with a fluted nozzle and chill in the fridge for 5-10 minutes to firm up a little.
- When the cakes have cooled, cut any domed tops off and use a peeler or apple corer to make a hole in the middle of each one, leaving at least 1/2 cm of sponge to the edge of the cake all round. Keep all the offcuts.
- Fill each cake with a heaped tsp of mincemeat and replace the offcuts of sponge back on top to seal it in. You may have to trim these a little, but it doens't matter if they stand slightly proud of the top of the cake.
- Finally, pipe the icing in a spiral on top of the cake, making sure the hole in the middle is completely covered. Start at the outside and spiral towards the middle, building up to a peak. Decorate with as much festive glitter, decorations and sweets as you like!
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…