Vegetarian Hot Dog
Member recipe by chefkavi1990
ServingsServes 1 - 4 Pieces
Who says vegetarians can't eat hot dogs? Try this simple and tasty recipe where we make the sausages with kidney beans. Ultimate protein snack
- Ingredients- (makes 4 hot dogs)
- For the veggie sausage:
- Kidney Beans - 1 cup (I put 4 palm-fuls)
- Potato - 2 medium sized
- Tofu - 50-80 grams (optional) [[Use cottage cheese as alternative]]
- Paprika - 3 teaspoons
- Pepper Powder - 1 teaspoon
- Salt - as per taste - 1 teaspoon
- Cilantro chopped - 2 tablespoons (optional)
- Hot Dog Buns
- Tomato Ketchup
- Mustard Sauce (optional)
- Tomato Slices
- Onion Slices
- Cabbage / Lettuce leaves
- Soak the Kidney beans in water overnight. (or for around 6 hours). Boil the Kidney beans (with a little bit of salt) to make them soft & mash-able! Completely filter the water from the kidney beans. Use a clean cloth or towel to remove some excess water from the kidney beans.
- Boil, peel & mash the potatoes. (& also mash the tofu if you are using it). In a large mixing bowl, mash the kidney beans with your hands. DonÃ¢ÂÂt use a blender. We just need to mash the beans roughly. Add the mashed potatoes & mashed tofu to it & mix well
- Add the chopped cilantro, green chilies, slat, paprika & bread crumbs & mix well. Divide the mixture to 4 large balls.
- Take a part of the mixture on a flat surface. Imagine how a sausage looks like. Slowly, start rolling the dough evenly as if it were a rolling pin
- Wither deep fry the sausages or for a healthier version, add a teaspoon of oil to a pan & shallow fry OR grill on both sides for 4-5 minutes each
- Cut the bun into 2 halves. Apply butter (optional) and tomato sauce & mustard sauce generously on the lower half.
- Place slices of tomato, lettuce & cheese. And then sausage we prepared above on the lower half.
- Apply sauce on the other half of the bun. Close the lower half with the other half of the bun.
- Visit here for step wise pictures - http://myedibles.blogspot.com/2011/10/vegetarian-hot-dog-with-kidney-beans.html
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…