Member recipe by stan83
ServingsServes 1 - 8 Pieces
This is traditional bread from Bulgaria,often used on Christmas eve.Enriched with eggs and fetta cheese(you could replace with other cheese on ur choice) this bread will make you love it and definately do it again!I got this recipe from my granma ,she tought me making it when I was only 8.I apologise if there are spelling or grammar mistakes.I'm translating it from Bulgarian to English!
- 1 kg plain flour
- 3 large eggs
- 400 ml natural yoghurt
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp salt
- 40 gr fresh yeast
- 125 gr butter
- 50 ml warmed water(body temperature -37 C) for mixing with the yeast
- FOR THE FILLING:
- beat 3 eggs and break into small chunks 200 gr of cheese(traditionly would use fetta but can replace with grated cheddar or other cheese)
- Preheat oven at 180C
- Stir in the yeast and sugar into the warmed water with a pinch of the flour and set aside to allow to start prooving!Meanwhile melt the butter and start making the dough.
- When the yeast has "bubbled up",In a large bowl sift the flour and add the salt,making a hole in the middle,add the yoghurt,oil and 3 eggs( leave one yolk for the egg wash).Add the yeast and make a smooth dough! Do not over knead! If dry you might nead to add a little bit more water!
- Separate into 2 equal-sized balls and roll out one of them into a circle about 1 cm thick!Add already made filling of eggs and cheese,then roll out the other ball and place on top of first one!brush with the melted butter!
- Now roll the bread just like a roulade and twist the ends gently into different sides to tighten the it!
- Using a knife cut the into 8 even-sized pieces!In the middle of 25 cm greased deep baking tray put the two pieces from the end and then arange the middle pieces around them!
- Egg wash and bake for about 45 mins! Might need a bit longer depending on oven,If needed cover to avoid burning!
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…