Brisket Beef pot roast
Member recipe by margaretpbrown
- 2 kilos piece brisket beef (can be larger or smaller to fit pot)
- 2 Oxo cubes
- Boiling water
- Salt and pepper
- (Vegetables like onions/leeks/celery etc. can be added if desired)
- Brown of all sides of joint in a frying pan to seal. (this is the correct way but I often don't bother and it is still delicious)
- Place in deep roasting pot/casserole dish.
- Season well with salt and pepper and sprinkle crushed Oxo cubes over joint.
- Pour boiling water over joint so that it measures about 3/4 of an inch deep. I put the end of a dry wooden spoon into the water (like a dip-stick) to measure how much water is in pot.
- Add vegetables if required.
- Place tight lid on pot (or cover tightly with foil).
- Place in oven and cook for 30 minutes at 200 degrees celsius (9 gas).
- Turn oven down to 170 degrees (3 gas) and continue cooking for 2 1/2 hours.
- Rest for at least 20mins before carving
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…