caramelised onion chutney
Member recipe by hskelton
ServingsServes 1 - 3 Jars
- got the basic recipe from an old magazine, made a few adjustments and.... yummy Its great with cold meats, and if you stir a spoonfull into gravy it wonderful.
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 3lb cooking Onions
- 10 oz dark brown sugar
- 7 fl oz malt vinegar
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic - crushed
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- pinch each - salt, paprika
- 1 small chilli
- Peel and slice onions very thinly.
- Heat oil in large pan and very gently soften the onions, don't let them brown.
- Add 3tbsp of the sugar and turn up heat to cooler onions. Add rest of sugar and remain ingredients simmer for 15 mins to reduce and the mixture turns thick and a dark carmal colour.
- spoon into jars ( about 3 one pound jars ), and leave for a month or two.
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…