Homemade Potato Crisps
Member recipe by fionatheobald
Make your own crisps using your microwave! A tasty and easy alternative to bought crisps (not to mention alot cheaper). A mandoline or food processor makes slicing the potato into paper thin slices alot easier.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 washed potato, sliced paper thin (peeling is optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Pour the vegetable oil into a plastic sandwich or freezer bag. Add the potato slices, and toss to coat.
- Coat a large dinner plate lightly with oil. Arrange potato slices in a single layer on the dish.
- Cook in the microwave for 3 to 5 minutes, or until lightly browned (if not browned, they will not become crisp). Times will vary depending on the power of your microwave. Remove chips from plate, and toss with salt (or other seasonings). Let cool. Repeat process with the remaining potato slices. You will not need to keep oiling the plate.
- If you want salt and vinegar; soak the raw potatoes in vinegar (cider/malt/red wine vinegar - all work well and produce different flavours) for 15-20 minutes for the best flavor. The potatoes may start to turn brown, but don't worry - they'll turn brown after they cook anyway.
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…