THE BEST Spag Bol
Member recipe by rebowe
Me and the Fam Love my Spaghetti Bolognese and the Kids especially. This is my own adapted recipe and have been cooking it for years. I have tried to make it as low fat as possible and lower in calories.
- 8 sprays of Fry Light Spray (for low fat version) OR 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Large Onion - Finely Chopped
- 1 Large Carrot - Finely Chopped
- 5 Garlic Cloves - Crushed (Use less if your not a massive garlic lover)
- 6 Tbsp of Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 Heaped Tbsp Double Concentrate Tomato Puree
- 5 Sprigs of Fresh Thyme or 1 Tsp of dried Thyme
- 1 Tsp Sugar
- 2 Large Tins - Chopped Tomatoes
- 1/2 Tin of cold water (from chopped tomato tin)
- Salt and Pepper to season
- About 10 Basil Leaves - Torn into sauce
- Dried Spaghetti (as much as your appetite allows each person)
- Fresh Parmesan Cheese or another Italian Hard Cheese - Grated to serve
- Spray a large Saucepan / Cooking Pot with Spray Oil or Tbsp of Olive Oil. To this add the chopped Onion and place lid over pan to sweat for a few minutes. Stir to make sure not to burn.
- When onions appear translucent, add the diced carrot and crushed garlic. Lower the heat and stir for a minute.
- Add the mince beef and turn the heat up so that the beef browns and doesn't stew. When the beef mince has all turned brown lower the heat and add the Tomato Puree, Worcestershire Sauce and Thyme. Keep cooking and stirring for a further minute.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and half a can of water. Add salt and pepper and tsp of sugar and leave to simmer with the lid off. I like to lid off so that the sauce thickens. Either place on a simmer for 2 hours (or less if needed) or place in the oven on 150 c 130 c (Fan Ovens) Gas Mark 2 for 2 hours (or again less if needed).
- When sauce is near ready, place a large pan of water on the heat until boiling. Once boiling, add dried Spaghetti and leave until the pasta is cooked but still feels firm. Strain Pasta. When sauce is ready add the freshly torn basil leaves and stir.
- Add the Spaghetti to the Bolognaise Sauce Pan and stir together.
- Serve your Pasta is nice big bowl and grate Parmesan Cheese on top. Nice bit of freshly ground black pepper and TUCK IN !!
- We like to eat it with Rocket Leaf Side Salad with some shop bought Balsamic Glaze drizzled on top and Garlic Bread.
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…