Sweet potato shepherd's pie
Member recipe by beppie1
- For the sweet potato topping:
- 3 medium sized sweet potatoes
- 1 medium or large regular potato
- 4 eggs
- 2½ cups flour
- For the bolognaise:
- 800g lean beef mince
- 1 stick celery(optional)
- 3 mushrooms
- 1 large onion roughly chopped
- 2 large/3 small bay leaves
- 1 tsp garlic puree/ 1 clove finely chopped garlic
- ½ tsp chilli powder or to taste
- ½ tsp mustard powder/wholegrain mustard
- 1 medium tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 medium carton (about 500g) tomato passata
- 2 cubes frozen leaf spinach or a handful chopped fresh
- 1 roughly chop the onion and mushroom, also fresh spinach if using. Finley chop the celery.preheat oven to 200c
- 2 Place all the bolognaise ingredients(except the bay leaves) in a large pan and mix well with a wooden spoon.
- 3 place over a medium heat and bring to boil, then allow to simmer for 1hr.
- 4 peel and chop the sweet potatoes and regular potato. Then place in a pan of boiling water over a high heat until cooked, drain and mash.
- 5 when cooled slightly add the eggs and whisk together using an electric whisk or a wooden spoon(whisk is easier). Add the flour a little at a time until the mix is no longer sloppy but stop before it gets too thick, you should be able to spread it easily.
- 6 when the bolognaise is done, tip into roasting dish or deep grill pan and spread sweet potato evenly over the top. Use a fork to make ripples along the top. Place in the centre of oven for 1 hr or until the top becomes crispy. Serve with greens.