Healthy Microwave Veg Biryani
Member recipe by nupurk23
OK.. I admit this is a bit older attempt. But it was wonderful and colorful too :).. I am a pure vegetarian and my Husband loves non-veg. He doesnt get a chance to have his fav. recipes that often for the reason I cant make them and he is too lazy to prepare himself :P :P ... So, I made this one with the hope of him getting the non-veg taste but the real fight was to lower the quantity of oil .. I surfed blogs and tried some of my own things.. It turned out to be soooo gud and he couldnt believe that I used only a tsp of oil :).. Try this.. you will surprise yourself .. :D Source: http://uk-rasoi.blogspot.com/2011/07/healthy-microwave-veg-biryani.html
- 1. Basmati Rice - 2 cups
- 2. Mixed Vegetables : Carrot, Green Peas, Beans, cauliflower, brocolli ( chopped finely)
- 3. 3 Onions - Thinly sliced vertically
- 4. 2 Large tomatoes, pureed
- 5. Ginger-garlic paste - 1 tsp
- 6. Chopped Coriander Leaves - 1/2 cup
- 7. Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
- 8. Red Chilli Powder - 1 tbsp
- 9. Coriander Powder - 1 tsp
- 10. Cumin Powder - 1 tsp
- 11. Garam Masala Powder - 2 tsp
- 12.Milk - 3 tbsps
- 13. Cardamom powder - 1/2 tsp ( Elaichi )
- 14. Clove - Cinnamon powder - 1/2 tsp ( laung- dalchini powder)
- 15. Salt to taste
- 16. 1 Tsp oil
- 17. 1 Cup low fat yoghurt
- 18. 1 tsp black peppercorns ( sabut gol kali mirch)
- Mix 1 tsp garam masala , Turmeric powder, 1 tsp salt, cumin powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, tomato purée and ginger garlic paste with yoghurt . Add all the chopped vegetables and mix well. Vegetables should be well coated. Keep aside for 20 min.
- Boil 3 cups of water with milk, cardamom powder, clove-cinnamon powder, peppercorns. Add Basmati rice and cook till water evaporates and the rice is almost cooked. PLEASE NOTE that the rice must not be completely cooked and mushy. It should be separated well.
- Drain the rice in a colander and keep aside.
- Now, heat the oil in a pan and add the marinated vegetables into it. Cook it covered on a medium-low flame for around 10 min till they are tender but still crisp. Vegetables should not be mushy. Turn the gas off and keep the vegetables covered for another 5 min.
- Now take a microwave safe dish and layer the rice and vegetables one by one. Make sure the top layer is rice.
- Close the lid and microwave on high for around 10 minute. Sprinkle the garam masala over the biryani and close the lid again. Keep it aside for 10 more minutes covered.
- Heat a pan and roast thinly sliced onions on a medium flame. If it sticks, sprinkle some water on it till it turns brown and crispy.
- Just before serving, sprinkle chopped cilantro and roasted onion.
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…