Member recipe by easytiger-gb
ServingsServes 1 - 16 Slices
a sort of lemon-y bakewell sort of slice, perfect for pack-ups and picnics. You can use jam, lemon curd and premade pastry for a quick fix and it works just fine. Make double pastry and filling and make a lemon meringue pie at the same time.
- For the Pastry
- 75g plain flour
- 35g butter or margarine
- 1 egg
- For the filling
- 75g sugar
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp cornflour, mixed with a little milk
- 90ml boiling water
- For the topping
- 25g butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 50g sugar
- 100g dessicated coconut
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 30cm (12") square tin
- Line and grease the tin, pre-heat oven to 180 degrees
- Pastry: rub the butter and flour together into crumbs, then add the egg to bind. Wrap in cling film and pop in the frigde.
- Filling: melt the sugar, lemon juice and zest in a pan on a low heat. Mix the egg yolk to the cornflour mix and add to the pan, add the boiling water and stir at a simmer until thickened. Leave to cool
- Topping: mix the melted butter with eggs and sugar, add the coconut and baking powder.
- Assembly: roll the pastry out thinly and put a layer in the bottom of your tin. No need to blind bake. Pour over the slighly cooled lemon filling and spread in an even layer. Then spread over the topping in a thin layer over the top.
- Bake for 30 minutes until firm and golden. Turn out gently and cut into 16 squares whilst still warm.
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…